Monday, December 10, 2012

The "C" word

No, not talking about profanity, but about cancer.
If you are reading this, you probably already know that I have been diagnosed with breast cancer.  Some of you  may have known since day one, while others may have just found out.  But, here's where you can get the scoop...at least as often as I am willing to update this (or Troy--I'm going to give him blog posting rights as well--he is, after all, the one who will be facing this head on with me).

So..here's a little disclaimer before I get started.
1. I am probably going to be brutally honest on here.  Besides immediate family, I will avoid the use of names.  I may vent--possibly a lot--so don't get offended by anything that you read here.  It is just an outlet for me.  If you are easily offended--don't read.
2. I am probably going to be GRAPHIC.  I'm going through some pretty interesting medical shit here, so I'm probably going to tell it like it is.  It is BREAST cancer, so I'll have to refer to the girls quite a bit.  So, if that stuff makes you queasy, or uneasy--Don't read.
3.  I may not update this as often as is necessary, but I will do it as often as Troy or I see fit.  If you have further questions about what is going on, feel free to ask me, but if I don't answer--talk to a family member.  I may not be responding to a lot of calls/texts over the next few weeks, so again--don't be offended.

Hopefully that takes care of everything.

Here is how it all went down.

Sometime around the beginning of October, I had a routine Gynecologist visit.  My doc said "Hmmm...you kind of have lumpy breasts...do you want me to order you an ultrasound?  It's probably nothing..."

So, I said sure.  Why not.  I sat on the ultrasound order for a few weeks (I mean, they didn't seem to serious about it, so I kind of forgot).  Then, one night I was in bed and I felt the lump and said to Troy, "Hm, this doesn't feel right.  I think this was what my doctor was talking about."

I made the appointment to go get the ultrasound the next day.
Then, November 14th, I had the ultrasound.  What started off as a routine ultrasound appointment (should have been no longer than 20 minutes), took three hours.  I was at the hospital from 3:00 until almost 6:15.  Everything kind of went quickly: ulstrasound, mammogram, the "hey you should get a biopsy because this is pretty scary" speech.  I was a bit overwhelmed.  To be completely honest, that was the moment that I knew I had cancer.

I had a biopsy the following Tuesday, and by Wednesday, November 21st, I knew without a doubt (pathology reports don't lie) that I had invasive ductal carcinoma in my right breast.  My left breast biopsy came back benign, but they are pretty sure that there are more.

After several doctor's visits, we have decided that I will be having a bilateral mastectomy this week followed immediately by reconstructive surgery.  

The surgery will consist of the following:
  • removing the breast tissue
  • creating a "hole" for the new breast (implant) to go in--this hole will be made from my rib cage, muscle tissue and a collagen implant that will be sutured to the rib cage   
  • filling the hole with a temporary implant with a magnetic area that will be "self sealing"
  • sewing me back up and sending me home. (well after a few nights)
When I leave the hospital I will have about a "B" cup.  From there, they will fill up the temporary implants with saline about once a week.  When I am at my old size (or one that I like better--haha), they will stop.  Then, two months later, new implants will go in to replace the temporary ones.  

So--that is the procedure (in a much more condensed version than was explained to me). 
I will be having the surgery this Wednesday, which just happens to be 12/12/12.  I'm kind of creeped out by that, but I'm sure it's a great sign.  
Apparently that is the last repeating date of our lifetime.  Creepy.  

However, despite all of my cynicism, I am very positive.  I am sure that when all of this is said and done, the cancer will be gone, and everything will be as it was, if not better.  

I really do appreciate the kind words that I have received from everyone, and all of the kind words that are sure to follow.  Check back in if you want updates.  Some will be cancer related--others will be boredom motivated.  

Thanks! Out for now--Lisa


2 comments:

  1. I know life has done its thing and we've sorta lost touch with the distance and all, but your family has always been in our thoughts whenever life (and fb) sends us the occasional friendly little reminder. We will definitely be checking up on how things are going and praying along with your army of supporters throughout the process. (As well as looking forward to the blog post where you'll be able to officially add cancer to the long list of asses you've kicked!) Oh and we're moving back to IL in May so you better invite us to the victory party if it hasn't happened before then!! -Tim and Julie Rout :)

    ReplyDelete