Saturday, January 5, 2013

Facebook

So, this post is not meant to offend anyone, it is just meant for me to vent for a minute.

I feel like cancer has ruined Facebook for me.  It has already ruined (or will soon ruin):

  • Disney Trip
  • My Breasts
  • My Nipples (sorry, dad)
  • My hair
  • My taste buds (or so I hear)
  • The remainder of my school year
  • and I'm sure a lot of things will be added to this list as I begin chemo...
But NOW?!  Facebook, too?  Really, cancer? REALLY!?

I haven't been super addicted to Facebook, but I do occasionally check it, and honestly since I've been home, I have been using it more often.  But now, some of the posts just really piss me off.  I love reading about peoples families, their holidays, seeing pictures of people doing fun things.  These are the things I love.  I have a lot of friends that are really funny, too.  So overall, Facebook still has its perks.  However, I feel like even though I've been strong, when I see certain complaints, I just want to scream (or comment in all caps) I HAVE CANCER--CAN YOU STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE SNOW?!?!  <----this is a bit of an exaggeration in terms of the types of posts I am talking about, but you get the point.  

Now, my fellow breast cancer comrade (survivor, fighter, warrior, insert clever name for someone battling breast cancer here) brought up the very true sentiment that if we didn't have breast cancer, we would most likely be posting about mundane things, too.  This is very true.  I completely agree.  But, still.  I find it slightly annoying that people complain about things that I wish were the only things that I had to worry about.  I think it's mainly my jealousy that I can't complain about those things.  That's one of the reasons I started this blog.  People can choose to read about my complaints (and I'm sure there will be many).  My current Facebook statuses would look something like this: 



This cancer crap really puts things in perspective.  I mean, certain things become less important, I guess.  


On a lighter and brighter note.  I have the best daughter in the world.  Never-mind that I am biased, and that she will probably be my only daughter (a wise woman once told me that the more you say something out loud--or in this case through typing--the less power it has, so I will be referring to cancer/not being able to have kids a lot.  If it bothers you, stop reading), she is just completely amazing.  Today, we went to "Grandma Jackie's" for a belated Christmas celebration.  We were able to spend a good day with family, although Marie was a bit unhappy with the lack of presents in her pile....

She was so great and so grateful.  She said "I love it! I love it! I love it!" after each present.  Whether it was clothes (I always thought clothing was a boring present as a kid--now I love it), or toys, she loved them all.  Great kid.  

Tonight, she let me give her a bath (she's hated those lately), and then she wanted to watch a movie.  We went upstairs and I was about to put one in, but she started playing with her dollhouse.  I asked her if she would rather play with her dollhouse, or watch a movie.  She said "I want to play with my dollhouse with you, mommy."

We played for about 30 minutes.  So cute.  Then, she let me and Troy read to her, and said "If I sleep in my bed all night, I get a sticker." She's been really good about sleeping in her bed (well, for two nights).  

It was a great night, and now, Friends is on.  Time to watch TV until I drift into dreamland.  



No comments:

Post a Comment