Friday, May 10, 2013

A lot going on...two posts in one day!

First, I'm going to do something that I've been meaning to do for a while.  I want to acknowledge some of the blogs that I've been reading/following since I've been diagnosed.  They have been such a huge help in so many different ways.  Most of the ones I read are listed along the side of my page, so PLEASE check those out.

Some I wanted to pin-point for all of you are right here:

http://fightingfancy.com  This woman is awesome.  She was diagnosed a year ago and within that year, so much has happened to her.  She was exactly my age at diagnosis--even had her birthday right around her first chemo treatment.  I feel that I can really relate to her. PLUS, in that year, she started a non-profit organization sending out chemo care bags around the country.  I even got one! :)

http://www.stupiddumbbreastcancer.blogspot.com 
This woman is great, too.  She is fierce and she's fighting with all she has.  She has become involved in almost every way possible to spread awareness and early detection information.  Good for you, Ann Marie!  

http://www.tarabeatscancer.com   
Tara has started an awesome organization called Writing Saves Lives.  It's a great idea and you should check it out.  I hope that it grows and comes out to the midwest some day.  Way to go, Tara!

*********
The next thing on my list to write about...my big day yesterday.   First, let me start by saying that my parents were out of town.  My mom usually helps with all this stuff, an I appreciate that help so much more now.  

Marie had her "Mother's Day" celebration at preschool yesterday.  I wanted to be able to go, so I made sure to schedule chemo (yes, I had chemo yesterday) for later in the day.  Because of scheduling it so late, I would have to take Marie with me to chemotherapy because I wouldn't make it out in time to pick her up from school.  So, that's how we start.  

Rusty and Duke (the dogs) had an appointment at petco because we had someone come to clean the house.  It's been nice to have that help a few times a month.  So I get Marie in the car, throw the dogs in too, and head out the door.  First, Marie goes to school.  She kind of had a rough day the other day, so I had to talk to her teachers about that.  Then, I rush back to the car, take the dogs to petco.  I had to be back at my house to let in the housekeeper and pay her.  So I get to petco, and find out that they can't take Rusty because he still had his stitches in.  Now, this makes perfect sense, but it doesn't change the fact that I thought "CRAP, I DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THAT." Well luckily my bro was ok with me dropping the dog off with him.  Did that, rushed back home, showered (still hadn't done that yet), and let the woman in to clean our house.  Then, I ran out the door to run a few errands before the Mother's Day celebration.  I get to the school and Marie starts out fine and happy.  Then, she turns on me...She was cranky and didn't want to play with anyone.  The kids did this really cute rendition of you are my sunshine for the moms, and my kid didn't even sing a note.  She sat on my lap the whole time. 

All in all, it was a fun little celebration.  
 excited to see me :)
 Giving me my gift 
Marie and Brinley (My cancer buddy's daughter)

Then, we had some time to kill, so we went to lunch, to a park, and to have some FroYo...it's a new fad popping up ALL over the area.  Self serve and whatnot.  
We played checkers...she reminded me the WHOLE time that "Daddy taught me how to play"

She beat the crap out of me.  

Then, off to chemo.  She was pretty good, but it was stressful and difficult keeping her occupied the whole time.  Literally 3 1/2 hours.  She desperately needed a nap, but did not take one.  The crayons and crafty stuff I brought only kept her occupied for so long.  We put in a movie, and she did sit still--mostly--for that.  When they gave me the Benadryl, I seriously was afraid of falling asleep and having my daughter run like a wild woman around the cancer center.  The nurses were great, they talked with her and she did "enjoy" being there.  I think it was good for her to see what I go through every week.  

                   
Pic one: Seemingly happy and coloring                            Pic two: Bored.  I don't blame her. 


Then we went to get the dog and met a friend for dinner back at my place.  At around 8:00, Marie fell right asleep when I put her to bed.  Big day for her I guess.  I made it through about 20 minutes of the Hawks game before crashing myself.  I will say, last night was my first time popping an ativan in a while.  I figured I needed a good night sleep after the long day I had.  




No comments:

Post a Comment