Thursday, April 11, 2013

Making strides

I had another treatment today.  Woohoo.

High blood pressure when I walked in again.  It keeps going up.  I was thinking that it was the herceptin.  I mean they made me do an echo before chemo, again before the herceptin started, AND I'll have another after the taxol.  It made sense.  But when I asked the nurse, she said no.  Then, the research nurse, Anita, mentioned the dex.  That dreaded steroid.  Ugh.

So, today, I told the nurse when she asked about side effects that the steroid sucked.  She laughed, but after learning at my lunch with Angie that she only had to take it for two days, I thought to myself, "Why am I taking it for so long...and taking so much?"  I mean, Angie and I have been given pretty much the same treatment plan all along.  I wasn't jealous, but I was definitely curious, especially because the steroid makes me nuts.  See the previous post if you are curious.

So my lovely nurse went and talked to Dr. H, and that glorious man and that glorious woman worked together to lower my dosage.  Now, I only have to take half the dosage and only 4 times vs. 6.  SO happy.  I'm hoping that will help.

One more treatment down and 7 more to go.  Finally seeing the light.  It's under two months now, which is exciting.

What is even more exciting is that Angie only has ONE more.  I cannot even say how happy I am for her.  Both unselfishly and selfishly.  Unselfishly because she's had a pretty hard time with the chemo and now it will finally be leaving her system and she deserves that SO much.  Selfishly because her being done makes me feel that much closer to being done myself.

Here's us at chemo together probably for the last time (our times are different next week).
Yay, Angie!  I'll miss her at chemo, but her not being there is so great on so many levels!  (She'll understand what I mean by this, I hope)

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.  


No comments:

Post a Comment