Monday, April 1, 2013

Fever Strikes...

For some reason, I've been freaking out about fevers since the first round of chemo.  I think that reason is because all of the nurses AND the doctor made it very clear that as soon as I get a fever, I must call.

I've been pretty lucky.  Well, last week, I started to get a cough.  (I had someone to blame for this cough, but I've blamed him enough, so I guess I'll give him a break via cyberspace).  The cough got progressively worse and by today, I was miserable.  Of course, I was home with Marie, and she was a doll.  I took NyQuil last night (which I usually hate, but I needed something), so I was kind of out of it this morning.

When I woke up, Marie was in my bed, watching spongebob (yes, hate the show, but she turns it on when she comes in and I just let it happen...especially when I feel like I've been run over by a truck), eating her easter candy out of the basket.  Yes, my child woke up, went downstairs and got her basket, and brought it into MY bed to eat...first thing in the morning.  Oh well.

She was good and let me sleep, I guess.

Anyway, fever strikes.  I woke up with about 100.4.  The nurses said call over 100.5, but the doc said over 100, so of course, I call.  That was around 10.  They called back at 1 to say "Maybe we'll give you an antibiotic, we don't know".  So I lounged all day, Marie watched movies all day, and I basically tried to keep her as active as possible while keeping myself as rested as possible.  I don't know if it was being sick, or the side effects from the taxol, but my muscles and joints= OUCH.

Finally, by 5:00, the nurse called and said they called in an antibiotic.  I was glad.  I mean, this way, hopefully whatever is in my body can leave.  I have enough crap in here to have to deal with an infection as well.

So all day, I've been moving around like a sloth (I've never seen one move, but I'm pretty sure they look like I did today).  My awesome kid just rolled with it.  She had fun, and she made sure to let me sleep or rest if I needed to.  Yes.  I slept with my almost-four year old awake in the house.  It was hard for me to do (not really, I was exhausted), but I was at a turning point.  Do I attempt to stay awake (which was almost physically impossible this morning), or do I trust my parenting skills up until this point and hope that she doesn't burn the place down.

Well, the house is still standing.  (Sorry for the fire reference, dad)

Marie chilin with me in bed

I even managed to get her back in bed at a reasonable hour tonight WITH a bath.  She was pretty proud, too.  


On top of everything, my mom is still at Edwards.  My family needs to get healthy.  I mean seriously.  What more can we handle?  I know we are pretty damn strong....we are, don't worry, but this is too much.  So, docs, let my mom come home, cure my cancer, and make sure that no one else in my family gets sick.  K?

****

On a side note, I get to see my best friends this weekend.  Now, I have seen them all sporadically since d-day, but one of them made a note that we hadn't all seen each other TOGETHER since Halloween.  That was pre-diagnoses.  Pre-Cancer.  I know it's weird that I think like that, but this has consumed so much of my life since November 21, 2012, that I don't really remember sometimes that there was a "pre-cancer" day.

Either way, I can't wait to see these girls.  Even if I'm feeling like absolute shit, they will make me feel better.




No comments:

Post a Comment