Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Survivor???

Now that my uterus is done plotting against me (at least for this month), I had some things I wanted to accomplish today.  My amazing friend, Michelle, is taking Marie out for a day of fun while I get to some things around the house, visit my mom (more on that in a bit), and just to give me a break.  She's awesome.  I am so grateful for the amazing support that people have shown me and the family over the past few months.  It is awesome.

Anyway, one of the things that I wanted to do was to submit a "wish" to this website that I heard about from a friend.  Angie did it, so I figured I would, too.  It was actually kind of funny...I sent her the link for the site to see if she was interested while we were around the corner from each other at chemo...she was about to do the same thing to me.  Too funny.

The organization is Bright Pink.  They are doing a promotion called "Fab-u-wish".  Giuliana Rancic is helping out with it.  It was nice to hear her admit on the site that one of the things that made it easier for her was getting dolled up and being pampered.  She admits that the celebrity life style helped with her femininity and helped her to feel pretty.  So, she started this contest.  It's kind of like make a wish, but for adult women.  So, I submitted my wish.  I'm not sure I'll win.  It's kind of a lame wish, but I really don't have anything that I want.  I mean, obviously, I don't want cancer anymore, but that is up to the doctors, not Ms. Rancic.  Plus, these wishes are focused on extravagant celebrity stuff like makeovers, red carpet stuff, etc.  Well, I went with a night or weekend out with Troy.  I wanted to have an extravagant date.  I'm hoping that my wish is humble enough and inexpensive enough to win.  Because well, that would be cool.
Anyway, I was filling out the form to join the site and it has a pull down menu: 


Well, the only one that was close (besides "other", and I HATE "other") was "A breast cancer or ovarian survivor".  That was a hard thing for me to press.  I mean, am I a survivor?  I've heard/used the terms patient, warrior, fighter, etc...but survivor?  Survivor, to me, means that I've already fought and won.  Well, right now, I'm still fighting.  I mean, yeah, I'm surviving, but I haven't reached the end so I haven't survived anything, yet.  I have full confidence that I WILL survive, but right now, to select an option that says SURVIVOR loud and proud?  It felt rather unsettling.  That may not make sense, but it was truly a weird experience.  

Here's to "surviving".

No comments:

Post a Comment