Monday, February 4, 2013

Update

I figured I owed an update, even though not much has changed.  Well, besides the hair.

I had my second round of chemo on Thursday.  Mom and dad came with and saw what it was all about.  I got really good news from the doctor.  He said that my counts were so great that I don't have to alter anything.  I can do whatever I want and see whoever I want.  ALSO-I don't even have to go in for blood work this week.  That was a shocker because everyone that I've talked to has had lower blood counts.

The doctor said something to me like, "Well, some people wonder if the chemo is even working if they have counts like yours..."

Well, I didn't think of it that way--except now I am.  What if it isn't working?  Thanks, doc.  Now you have that in my head.  Just kidding.  He said it just means my body is a bit more resilient to the meds, which I guess is a good thing.  However, he did comment on the hair.  That was a humorous conversation.  We were sitting in the office, and...

Doc: So, you still have your hair?
Me: Yeah, I was kind of hoping to hang on to it until Sunday, haha (nervous laughter).
Doc: Yeah, I wouldn't count on it...I give it two days.
Me: ......
Doc: <shrugs>

Fast forward 24 hours, and the hair was coming out rapidly.  So, I had my mom shave it.  I let Marie watch.  This was partly because I had no choice ( I wasn't going to hide), and partly because I thought it might help to make it "funny".  I think it did.  We set her up in a chair in the garage and just laughed at my hair coming off.  If you know me, you know that I find hair gross.  I hate shedding in the shower, I hate cleaning hair brushes...just the thought of hair, everywhere, grosses me out.  This was why I shaved it.

I'm going to post the pics here, but don't laugh at my face...I was giving my grossed out face...at the hair on the floor, not the lack of hair on my head.  I'm actually ok with it.  Much easier to manage.

  
Before....
 After...
Marie watching...
So, anyway--that part is done.


Saturday seemed to be my "blah" day.  I didn't do much.  In the morning, we took Marie sledding.  She had fun.  She went down three times, but then I got too cold.




I stayed in all day prepping myself for the big game.  Sunday was my dad's annual Super Bowl party.  We had a big discussion about whether or not to have it, and I insisted that he throw the party despite my recent "hiccup".  I figured it would be good to see everyone and keep things as normal as possible.  For the most part, I was happy with that decision.  I was happy that we had the party.

I did try the wig.  Not so sure about it, though.  I was hyper aware of it the whole time.  I can still see the areas where my bald head is sticking through, and I'm not quite sure how to wear it yet.  I'm sticking with the wraps for right now.  I'm going to make an appointment this week to get it styled and get another wig so that I can try them instead.

Marie had so much fun.  She was able to see her friends.  When they got here, she literally threw her arms around them and said "These are my best friends." She was a little diva the whole night, it was pretty comical.  I was so glad to see her have that much fun.  She's finally at an age where (for the most part) she can go off and play with her friends and we don't really have to worry about her. So, I was able to sit and lounge and watch the commercials...I mean, game... and she was able to play.






Scatter-brained as usual, but doing well.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I would say this super bowl party is YOUR and Mom's annual party as well!!!

    Love you

    ReplyDelete