Friday, June 21, 2013

Life Lessons

Cancer has taken a lot away from me.  A lot.  Slowly but surely, I am getting it all back.

I'm finally feeling like myself again.  I feel like the chemo has finally exited my body.  I know it sounds weird, but I felt like I could slowly sense that it was leaving.  It was an odd feeling.

Now, if only my damn hair would grow faster.  Any suggestions?

With as much as cancer has taken from me, you'd think I'd resent it.  You think I'd be bitter all the time (I am bitter some of the time, and jealous--but that's another post).  However, I'm not.  Despite the thefts, cancer has also taught me a great deal.  Some of these things include (but are not limited to)

How to apply make up better
Before cancer, I rarely put on more than concealer and mascara.  Now, to preserve the femininity that I have left, I put on a great deal more than I used to.  Sometimes, I'm actually pretty good at it.  
How to draw eyebrows on my face (this is very different from makeup)
I never thought I'd have to do this, but I have become rather skilled in the arena. 
How to tie scarves
I hope that I may finally be done with this. 
Medical lingo
herceptin, heparin, tamoxifen, CT scan, echo, lymph system, lymph nodes, lymphatic massage...etc
An EXTREME appreciation of nurses and medical staff
Seriously, I cannot stress this enough (I've said it before, I know, but it's just THAT true)--to all my nursing friends, I love you!  
How to check my modesty at the door
I've always said that after you give birth, modesty kind of goes out the window.  Doctors see much more of you than you'd like and you learn to be ok with it.  However, with breast cancer, it's much worse.  It's gotten to the point that when I walk into any medical office, I get the urge to start taking off my shirt.  I'm afraid that one day, I'll walk into the dentist and start stripping.  
How to accept help, charity, money, friendship, etc. 
I think it's our natural instinct to want to provide for our own and for ourselves.  When people offer to help, we initially want to say "No, I've got this".  For the most part, I did have this.  However, sometimes I needed to accept the help.  While I'm on the topic, thank you to all of you who were specific about how you wanted to help.  It was very hard to respond when people would ask "let me know what I can do."  At times, I barely know what I need, let alone enough to tell someone else.  
Which brings me to the next point...
How to GIVE help:
Now I know if I have a friend or family member go through something like this how to provide.  I know not to ask what to do, but instead to just DO.  "Hey, I'll watch your kid for a few hours so you can sleep", "Hey, Here's dinner, cook it tonight, or tomorrow, this way you won't have to".  Etc.  
Priorities
I used to stress over a lot (and I still sorta do), but now I know what is important.  Spending time with my family, making sure I am healthy.  That's what is important, and even as life goes back to normal, I will maintain that mentality.  

I've learned a lot from cancer. It's really sad that it takes something like this to make you not only realize what is most important, but to LIVE like you realize it.

Recently, I've also learned (not due to cancer), that no matter how well you live your life, or how much you do for others, people will still be there to shit on you (metaphorically).  I feel like life throws these little tests at us for a reason.  BUT, I do know one thing.  In the end, the important people, the ones who really care, your real family (even if it may not be by blood) will be there for you.  The ones that matter most will support you.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    Hope you are doing well :)
    Wanted to share this with you -- semicolonclub.blogspot.com -- this is my blog address. "Life is good ... but colon cancer stinks!" Most of the time I have no idea what I am doing, but I have 4 post so far. Glad you took a family vacation!!! I planned my first chemo treatment around our family vacation.
    Take care! Hi to Marie ;)
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete